Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thank you, Apostle, Garden





Thank you, thank you, thank you for the prayers and thoughts on my behalf. I am doing better after a very productive and progressing week. I had one job interview that would be at a very urban charter school teaching 1st grade. But as I've thought about it, I'm more and more interested in this position, so I find out Friday if I get it!! I also met a lady while dropping by another charter school who was very kind and interested in me. So perhaps there will be something there too! This progress will hopefully lead somewhere, if not at least in helped my depression big time this week.

Today Elder Christofferson, 12 apostle (sp?), visited our stake and spoke. His message on faith really struck me. For so long I've been struggling with faith, wanting more, and being mad at myself for lacking in faith. But he said that faith is a spiritual gift from Heavenly Father that comes through the spirit, its not something that we conger up inside of ourselves (which was my misconception). There are ways we can seek after and increase that gift through feasting on the words of God, reading the scriptures to hear the voice of the Lord. He said when Alma was talking to Helaman he told him to preach repentance and faith, but we usually find the order of those words reversed in the scriptures, faith leads to repentance. So repentance apparently also leads to more faith too. Greater obedience to the Lord, entering into covenants, and sacrificing lead to increase measures of faith in our lives. I guess I never realized that faith is increased in doing the right things, not in creating it or just believing harder. So this was a huge revelation to me and just what I needed to hear. How and why the Lord decided to talk just to me I don't know but this is what I was needing to hear! And it was really neat to see Elder Christofferson in person.

Garden. I just LOVE our garden. I even go out there sometimes just to look and talk even to take pictures of the plants. I pray for it too. It is so amazing to see God's handy work and to know that all of this vegetation came from a tiny little seed. God is in nature! I am so funny that I have even found myself talking about it to friends and stuff and then realize that they probably don't care. At least here in my journal blog, I can talk all I want about these amazing plants. Check out the great pictures I took this week. I just love the watermellons that are a size of a pea! Cucumbers the size of an AAA battery. I just love it!

Thanks again.
Lov

5 comments:

Karon said...

I love the pictures of your garden! I laughed when I read that the cucumber is the size of a AAA battery! I haven't had much experience growing anything, but last year when we grew tomatoes I was just so in awe. I mean, actual edible food came from my backyard! I hope you enjoy a summer full of wonderful produce and that you get the teaching job!

John said...

That's neat that you were able to listen to Elder Christofferson--he's such a powerful speaker! We can't wait until you hear back on Friday!

Kathryn S. said...

We JUST planted our garden Saturday. Better late than never! The seeds are SO tiny. It is such a miracle, isn't it?! We're hopeful for a job for you :)

It doesn't look like we can come for the 4th due to finances, so you can enjoy the holiday with the Green side of the family, but we hope to make at least one trip up this year.

Thanks for your notes on faith from yesterday, I really never thought about it that way either. I think that I had the same ideas about faith as you did. It's so neat to look at things from a different angle because it changes the whole picture.

Kathryn S. said...

P.S. More people besides me and aunt Karie actually ARE reading our blogs lol!

Karie said...

See, you amaze me again. Well, actually I'm not surprised at all - you're on the up and up! I love apostles! I love gardens, edible and otherwise. I love you both!