Sunday, May 30, 2010

30-30-30 The Golden Birthday

Yes, June is almost here, and bringing with it is my 30th birthday. This is the birthday that I have dreaded, feared, ignored, tolerated, accepted, entertained, and now embraced. I have decided that since this is my golden birthday (when you turn the age of the number the day your birthday falls on) I decided to celebrate. I will celebrate for 30 days, till June 30, when I turn 30. Hence the 30-30-30. I am really excited for my birthday because, I like any reason to celebrate, but also its just fun! To celebrate I decided each day I would do something to make myself happy, I am very happy when I serve others, so I hope to serve a different person or people every day. It can be something little or big. I am very excited to challenge myself to do service for others and keep track of it everyday. I know this will bring me happiness and make my 30th birthday the best ever!! (I don't say this for bragging, I say this for journal purposes.)

I used to dread turning 30 but now I'm really glad because I can finally be the age that I feel in the professional world. When I was teaching, all the 20=something aged girls would drink and party, sleep around, and do all manner of crazy things. So now that I'm older and wiser, I don't feel like I have to be clumped in that group of people anymore. Everyone always thought I was older because I didn't do those things. I got dubbed as the "loner" because I didn't go out drinking with the young girls and I didn't talk about babies and kids with the older ones, so at least my age is a little closer to the more mature professionals. Too bad I'm not even working now so that doesn't even matter. Oh well!

Speaking of working, I'm still trying to find a job: and any prayers are appreciated. I just really need to find a teaching job. The market is fierce and I've tried so hard, but its just saturated with teachers. This economy really needs to turn around!

Matt got accepted to the new school he applied to and we are thrilled. He starts in the fall. Right now his major is power systems management. I have no clue what that is exactly, but something to do with power systems, like electricity I think!! He's completely nervous because he might have to quit his job and do some sort of coop or internship along with the program and he's been doing the same thing for so long, that change seems quite daunting to him right now. We are so excited!

2 comments:

Karie said...

You two are so courageous! I love your attitudes!

Kathryn S. said...

That is all so very exciting! Now I can't wait until I turn 28! Too bad for John...he was born on the 19th haha--more partying for us girls then, huh?! You + job have been in our prayers. You are very unselfish to think of spoiling yourself for 30 days by serving others. Talk about pampering! Well, I'm very glad to know that serving brings you so much happiness. When it comes to my 28 days of partying, I think I'll just splash on some make-up and eat a doub-c-raisen-beg(bag)-on the coals :) it'll be num numms! Congrats to Matt.