
In Sunday school this past week we talked about Prophets. These men have foretold and prophesied of things to come. We discussed different prophesies and the word of wisdom was mentioned by a man in my ward because he talked about how his cholesterol was so high and the doctor prescribed eating less meat. This brother then went on to say how prophetic it was that this is in our scriptures. This really got me thinking about meat.
When I was a baby my father gave me a blessing. In it, it said that I would have a love for animals. I find that interesting as I am not particularly an animal lover. And much to dad's dismay I'm not a horse fanatic, or anything like it either, haha. Maybe what this blessing meant and foretold was of my love of animals in a different way. As you may know, I am a vegetarian. For years now I have known that not eating animals was a good choice for me as mentioned in the word of wisdom, I try to eat meat sparingly (once every year or so) and since animals are for our use, I still use eggs, cheese, etc. This prophesy and scripture is amazing because it told us to eat meat sparingly, and now it has been shown to be the leading cause of "global warming." I don't exactly know if I believe in global warming, but it is interesting to see that animals have caused a lot of problems in our society: global warming, cancer, cholesterol, methane production, abuse, etc. Cruelty towards the way the are raised and the foods they are being fed has caused a lot of problems. In fact I happened to see this in the news this week.
On the Glen Beck show on Fox News, a good point was made. I was watching how former vice-president Al Gore was being interviewed by Diane Sawyer of the Good Morning America show. She pointed out that Gore was not a vegetarian, yet it has been proven as the best way to save the planet. In fact, this Glen Beck segment when on to say that combine driving hybrid cars, and using fancy light bulbs, etc still does practically nothing when compared to just not eating meat. Then Glen Beck attacked the White House because they are all about going green yet every meal they have is chuck full of meats of all kinds in the menus.
So I guess the point is:
"Follow the Prophet,
Follow the Prophet,
Follow the Prophet,
don't go astray,
follow the Prophet,
follow the Prophet,
follow the Prophet,
He knows the way"
I am so grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, because I know that prophets are real and living today. They are lead by Jesus Christ. I am so blessed to have this in my life that I pinch myself all the time. I know this church is true and that Jesus Christ is at the head of it.
3 comments:
Love your post Jenni! We like eating meat a little more than you, but certainly not every day. I miss you tons! And, I like Glenn Beck too!
I remember reading your baby blessing to you over the phone once and we both thought the animal comment interesting. John recorded Big Trouble in Little China off T.V. Can't decide wether to wait and watch it when you bring it down or not?? Love and miss you too!
Interesting about your blessing! I loved that segment of GB and Sawyer. I have been thinking about meat more recently. I have a hard time knowing just what "sparingly" means!
Post a Comment