I have a great bird story to share. But first you must understand that my particular class of fifth graders is very much into adult things (dating, male/female relations, cell phones, gangsta music/hats/etc). I often think of some of them as thug wanna-bees. I've never had a class so concerned with social life and the opposite sex.
This morning a student shouts, "Look at the birds in the grass fighting." The whole class and I run to the window. I ran with excitement and anticipation towards the window, hoping to make a wonderful teaching moment out of this great science opportunity. Lo and behold, the birds are not fighting.
Hailey, the oh so wise one, screams, "They're not fighting they're making babies." Most of the class erupts into giggles and small, whispered conversations as I do my best to insist that they are fighting. After all, perhaps they were competing in a very close claw to claw contact sport.
It took some time to calm them down and at distract them with other things. But I, as well as others, continued to giggle every now and then, just at the thought of what had happened.
I just had to share this story, because I know we could probably all use a little laughter throughout the day.
2 comments:
Ha-ha! That movie gives me the creeps!
oh boy- how do kids that age know these things? i would have had no idea!
Post a Comment