Monday, January 14, 2008

My Favorite Things- Why should Oprah have all the fun?



So every Christmas season Oprah has this show where she gives her audience tons of stuff. Its fun to watch because she shows a lot of cool products that I can only dream about having someday. Well as I was busy cooking in the kitchen this weekend I realized I have my own "Favorite Things" so I should tell everyone about them, cause why should she have all the fun with her favorite things? It's fun to find gratitude in my own life and not pine away wishing for other things. FOR SOME REASON MY BLOG IS NOT LETTING MY PARAGRAPHS BE SEPARATED LIKE THEY ARE WHEN I'M TYPING THEM. SORRY, I'LL TRY TO WORK ON THAT. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THAT PROBLEM?


My first favorite thing is a tool that Taylor and Kara gave me, a leftover from their wedding gifts. They were kind enough to let me have it since they weren't needing it. It's a tool that has different attachments to do different things. For example it can mix up a milkshake, it can chop nuts/onions/cilantro, it can stir pancake batter for you and many other wonderful things. I just love this little tool I especially use the chopper for the three things I mentione above. I don't know the price, but it sure has been a fantastic tool.
Behind the tool in the picture, you'll see another one of my favorite things. It's a bottle of stevia. Stevia is a natural sweetener that can be used for anything. I like to use it to sweeten herbal tea, smoothies, recipies, whatever. It's great because a little drop goes a long way and its much better for you than sugar! Even though the bottles can be expensive, I've had mine for over a year and the liquid hasn't even fallen beneath the top of the sticker on the bottle yet.
The second picture you see was my craft time for the week. I made some more baby bibs. My ward seems to be exploding with babies all the time!
This weekend was our first day of primary. It was utter chaos from start to finish with more kids than expected, teachers not show up, blah blah blah, but it worked somehow. We decided that we need to split into a jr/sr primary since we are so much bigger than we realized. I really enjoyed having that third hour off, to do other things, but its not going to work now with our primary of about 35 as opposed to the 20ish we had during the holidays.
Matt started school this week, it was strange not having him home in the evenings. He's taking four classes! I really hope all goes well.
Recipe: Many ask me for recipies. Here's one I made this weekend, very good! As you can see, I make up things as I go along so I'm not sure how much of what i put in there. Just use your best guess!!
Potato Fries
Potatoes cut in long strips (5lbs. I was feeding us and another family)
olive oil (maybe 2 TBS.)
seasonings of choice (start with paprika, garlic salt/powder, cayane pepper, chilli powder, onion flakes, chives) to taste-mix it up and use other seasonings for a different flavor
salt
Pour oil, seasonings, salt over potatoes in large bowl, mix well. Cook on cookie sheet for about 375 for 45 mintues or until desired crispiness. (take about 2 cookie sheets for 5 lbs.) Turn a time or two while cooking. They are very good with ketchup, but I love them with some ranch dip and a little bit of hot sauce!!

1 comment:

Karie said...

I forgot about doing potatoes that way - good reminder for something new for dinner. Yum!