Saturday, September 18, 2010

Matt's Narrative- his hidden talent- a must read!!

So Matt is taking this English class, I love literature, he's not that interested. Last week he let me do his homework, I got to read some narrative essays and answer questions about them, I loved it and shared things that I read with him. ps:its not cheating when a wife helps her husband. For this class Matt had to write his own narrative. He let me read it: surprisingly enough, he's very private. But it was amazing. I had NO IDEA that Matt was such a great writer. I CANNOT believe that Matt has so much talent that I never knew of. I know he's incredibly smart, so much that he breezed through school as a kid but this really is great. Enough said, after some convincing, Matt finally allowed me to share this story with you. Maybe because I'm his wife, or maybe because I am the worst writer in the universe and can only enjoy great literature, never write my own that to me this seems so great- you be the judge.

Matt's Narrative

As a child I always knew that I could be part of the cool crowd if I wanted to be. In my mind there was a spot reserved for me right next to the best the school had to offer. I just wasn’t up to claiming it. I was very intelligent as a child and felt as if I could quickly come to an understanding of most concepts taught in school without needing to study them. I also understood what the cool and socially acceptable thing to do was. This common sense or ability to pick up on things quickly, paved the way to a lack of study skills and to poor grades due to incomplete homework and a general sense of apathy on my part. What played a greater part in my academic and social shortcomings was that emotionally I was much more melancholy, introverted, or often downright depressed when compared to the average child in sixth grade. Having just lived through the divorce of my parents and remarriage of my mother, with whom I lived, to an apparently random man who I didn’t particularly care for or know about, I was an emotional train wreck. I was miserable, and the way I saw it was that all that was needed to pull me out of my depression was the attention and adoration of my peers at school. I had a yearning to be accepted and loved, and since that wasn’t going to happen in my home I sought it out elsewhere.

Now, despite my social shortcomings, I was one of the kids that understood what toys and trinkets would be cool before everyone else did, and I appreciated the often overlooked subtle intricacies that made the toys really fantastic. While most kids played with a new toy for a few weeks or even months, eventually they became bored and felt compelled to move on to the newest, shiniest, ‘must have’ toy. I was not this way. Give me a toy and I would exploit it to its fullest, using it in every way that it could be used. But as noted, playing with an old toy or liking last season’s cartoons wasn’t what got you in with the cool crowd. As this was my new goal, I was prepared to set aside my old ways and embrace whatever would give me a presence and gain me attention with the cool kids. This wasn’t coming easy, as every day I would go to school and be depressed and unhappy and lack the hope of a better life. But one day to my elation, I found it, I found what would bring me the supposed true happiness and adoration that I so wanted.

Comic book playing cards. The moment I saw them I was in love for the first time in my young life. They were shiny and bright, fresh and unique; they were wonderfully monstrous in all their twisted glory. Spiderman, Venom, Carnage, the Incredible Hulk, they were all there, along with seemingly hundreds that I had not even heard a whisper of. I could hold them in my hand, pass them around, trade them, and show others the amazing gems that I possessed. If I had some of these they would surely propel me to the status that I knew was rightfully mine, and would pull me out of depression and finally make my life right. Big problem though, I had very little money and they were expensive! The rarest and coolest ones, the ones that would gain me the most notoriety, were ten, twenty, even fifty dollars at the local card store. This was demoralizing at best and devastating at worst.

The coolest kid in my class had heaps of cards; his backpack was nearly full of them. I was longing to be a child of his stature, but there was absolutely no possible way that I could achieve this, not with all the coins from the forgotten depths of all the couches on my block. In my desperation I was driven to do something that was not at all part of my nature. I suppose this is not a complete surprise because after all, I was trying to become someone who I was not, by whatever means necessary. So while all our backpacks were unattended, I delicately unzipped his backpack and transferred a large handful of recognition and esteem into my bag. Little did I know that I would gain something much more valuable than the promise of the shallow recognition of my peers.

I went home and laid out my plunder over my bed and admired all my ill-gotten goods. I felt like there was hope of gaining what I wanted. That is until I went to school the next day and the teacher asked if anyone knew anything about some stolen cards. My moral was shattered and instantly I knew that I had done something wrong and that my false hopes would not be realized. The shame was too great and I could not admit to the wrongdoing, that would have left me even more distraught than before, and I could not face that! That night at home while suffering from the shame and hopelessness, I had a moment of epiphany. I realized that the only way to recover from my depression and become the person I wished to be, was to simply embrace who I really was. I didn’t need false adoration or a disingenuous band of friends to give me true fulfillment in life. I just needed some self respect. I learned a lot that day.

As my atonement I snuck out of my house that night, cards in hand, and scattered them on the sidewalk in front of the school. As the cards flew from my hands I felt the self imposed pressure to be someone who I wasn’t diffuse into nothing. I felt a burden lifted, and although the situation was not handled in an appropriate, lawful manner, my eleven year old mind felt as if it had done the right thing, and that was what mattered. As I walked to school the next morning, feeling liberated from the night before, I saw the other children quickly and gleefully harvesting the apparent mana from heaven in a state of elation. That was an event that had never happened before and will never ever happen again. I looked at them and confidently walked past. I didn’t need the cards. I didn’t need the pleasure that they promised. I had embraced the simple yet eternal contentment of being my own person and in that I found the elusive joy that I had been seeking.

_______So that is Matt's story. I completely enjoyed this small window into his life. Isn't he just so funny? I know he may not have confessed to his crime, but in his defense he didn't have much of an upbringing, as he alluded to in the story. I really thought some of his phrasings were clever and the way he introduced these different topics yet tied them all together in the end was brilliant. I may be biased, hehe.
lov

6 comments:

thepedersens said...

That was AMAZING! He has a talent that needs to be shared. I am not much of reader and that definitely held my attention. He reminds me of David Sedaris, minus the crudeness, who I find thoroughly entertaining. I hope he keeps writing and that he lets you keep sharing... even after his English assignments are over. I think you found yourself a good man, Jenni.

Cami Sullivan said...

That was awesome! I didn't want it to end! By the way...the end of the story was fantastic- so different than what I was expecting. This would make an awesome scene in a movie. Keep writing, Matt!!

Kathryn S. said...

Hmm. I loved it :) When's his next story coming out?

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much for your comments. I read them to matt and it really made him feel good to know that you cared! It also made me feel good because I love seeing that I was right about how good it is, its not must my bias!!!
thanks my friends, matt loved his feedback!!!
lov

Kristy Anderson said...

Matt has a real gift. Words must come easy to him, which is a talent!! He really should put that to good use...he could be an English teacher and help others, or be a columnist for a magazine/newspaper, or an author. Believe me, I took TONS of English classes and studied reading/writing and he has natural talent! Wow! Keep it up and keep sharing! :)

Karie said...

Cool story! Putting that into words would have been so hard for me. Way to go Matt!