Sunday, February 28, 2010

Yummy rice cereal

This cereal I found to be very delicious. Eating it filled me up better than traditional cold breakfast cereal. It was also tasty enough for a dessert. I never make things exactly like the recipe show I'll show my modifications below. Thanks to the website where I found this: www.mrbreakfast.com/recipe

Brown Rice Hot Cereal
(2 servings)

1 cup cooked brown rice (used a little more than this)
1 cup low fat milk (i used rice milk)
2 tablespoons dried fruit (I used raisins and added extra)
1 dash cinnamon (I added extra)
2 Tablespoons honey
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon butter

Combine the rice, milk, fruit, cinnamon, and honey in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. When the mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.

In a small bowl beat the egg. Stir in a teaspoon of the hot rice mixture from the stove. Continue to slowly add 4-5 more teaspoons of the hot mixture until the egg is too hot to touch. Add the egg to stove top mixture.

Stir the vanilla and butter into the hot mixture. Continue to cook for 3-4 more minutes until thickened to your liking. Serve warm.




I have always wanted a warm cereal like the one my mom makes. But being that I have to limit my wheat/gluten intake, here is my version! And sorry, no ice cream on this one mom! haha
lov

2 comments:

Kathryn S. said...

What?! No ice cream? Haha. That sounds yummy. You'll have to make us some of these yummy treats you keep posting about during your next visit :)

Karie said...

I love brown rice. Hum, the egg thing seems weird to me but I may try it.