Matt and I gave talks in church on Sunday. It was so fun to sit up front together and to hear each other speak. It was a very amazing day for us as we both learned even more about each other as we heard each other speak. Matt's talk went perfectly with mine even though we didn't even plan it to be so. My topic was crazy so it was neat to see how the spirit helped me to pull it together. My topic was, "The importance of testimony, modesty, and virtue in self-reliance." Yes, I wrote it down verbatim so that I would be sure not to miss a step. I related preparation for a natural disaster in our world to preparation for the disaster of moral decline in our society. I emphasized modesty's role in all of this specifically for men and women.
Then Matt talked about how preparing our families for a physical disaster needs to be based in spiritual ideas. His topic was family preparedness. He mentioned how the things we saw as horrible as kids is now commonplace everyday. He read some thought provoking scriptures and seat a deep spiritual feeling amidst the meeting house. It was just so perfectly in line with my talk that people rushed the podium after sacrament to talk to us. We've never been so well recieved and paid so much attention in this ward. It was neat to see how some of the comments people made were geared toward their learning more from Matt's talk, while other seemed to learn something from mine.
Matt and I were truly blessed and our prayers answered. We prayed repeatedly that the spirit would teach and instruct us and the congregation. Wow did it ever. Its amazing how blessed we are in every aspect of our lives if we but ask. Sometimes I think I forget to ask and expect blessings to come bounding into my life. Yet the Lord has specifically told us to ask. I need to remember that more. Asking sure changed our simple talks into a wonderful learning tool for both Matt and me.
Monday, November 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow-what a topic! Why not talk about charity, service to our nation and the gift of the Holy Ghost, too? Sound like you made it work!
Post a Comment